A One Day workshop presented by Susie Hewitt & Mandy Atkinson
We all have a unique food script, and this can influence how we work relationally with clients in this area. Whether the primary presenting issue, or more usually a secondary factor, our clients often bring their complicated relationship with food to us. There are different eating and weight-related issues that might present in the therapy room, e.g. overweight clients may despair from lifelong weight problems and the yo-yo dieting regime that has not given them the changes they wanted. Underweight clients may be very vulnerable in terms of their psychological and physical health and overwhelmed by the critical messages they experience. Clients who present with eating and weight-related issues are often very defended and can use strategies such as under-eating, binging and purging and over-exercising. The challenge therapeutically is to understand the underlying trauma behind the presenting issues.
This workshop will look to answer the following questions: –
- How far back must we go to understand our clients’ unconscious food script (i.e. epigenetic factors, in-utero experience, initial feeding experience, weaning approach etc)?
- Why is working with food, weight and eating issues so complicated and challenging?
can we work relationally with clients to facilitate healing and psychological wellbeing
including healthy changes around food, body size
- Which approaches can we adopt therapeutically as we work with clients/patients in this complicated area?
- How does understanding our own food script help understand possible challenging countertransference with clients?
- What supervision and support is required in working therapeutically with a client’s eating and weight issues and food script.
We will explore theory, approaches, treatment planning, new model (designed by Mandy) of working therapeutically with food and weight, new mini-food script (designed by Susie), case studies & vignettes, along with an exciting opportunity to participate in live triad practice.
Trainers : – Mandy Atkinson PTSTA(P) and Susie Hewitt PTSTA(P) have a wealth of experience in working with clients in this area. Mandy is a primary course tutor at Peter Symonds College and Susie is a primary course tutor at the Manchester Institute. They are both UKCP registered Clinical Supervisors and Psychotherapists.
Venue: The Manchester Institute for Psychotherapy
Dates: Monday, 16th March 2020
Time: 10.00am – 5.00 pm
Cost: £145 – Deposit – £75 (non-refundable)
Payable online or by card by telephoning 0161-862 9456
Or by cheque payable to: Manchester Trainings
To book online click the shop
This workshop carries Continuing Professional Development Credits